Friday, August 20, 2010

What do you do whenever your spouse is laid off from work?

I just found out my husband was laid off from his job and I don't know what to do? Fortunately, I have a job, but we were already struggling before this and we have a 6 month and 2 year old to worry about. He carried our medical and life insurance because through my employer would have been worse financially. We do not have any family to lean on and are not eligible for any assistance. I know that there are thousands worse off than us, but I'm really scared.What do you do whenever your spouse is laid off from work?
get him to apply for unemployment. it may take a couple of weeks before you see any money, but at least you will have some money coming in.





What do you do whenever your spouse is laid off from work?
He's most likely able to find a job through contacts. He should not be shy about reaching out to everyone that he knows, and everyone that they know to find a job. Make sure your apply for unemployment right away. Downgrade your housing if you can. Look at every expense and see how you can trim.

Report Abuse



TImes are really tough out there! I hear every day how someone is losing their job and their entire families are out of work, so you aren't alone! Be supportive and don't get on to him to much. Try to cover the important bills right now and get rid of things you don't really need-like the upgraded cable channels, cell phones and phone usage. Turn the heat down and try to eat at home-(You will save tons of money doing this) Hopefully once his unemployment benefits kick in, he can help with some of these bills. Local churches can help you with rent, food and utility bills, just call around! It will be ok! I HAVE lost everything: my dream home, cars, and my life savings when I couldn't sell my house! Everything will be fine. As long as you have a place to live and food you will make it!
Take the kids out of daycare immediately. Try to replace the ins through your employer. There are places to go to get food (food pantries) where you don't have to prove need. In some areas you can call 311 or 211 for the United Way referrals. That will free up some money for other bills. They even have formula. You can also ask your doctor to help you get formula samples. Do you have room to take in a boarder? Your husband should get VERY organized with his job search so that he can do it intensely while the children are napping. He should call EVERY person he knows and ask if they've heard of any employment that he might be qualified for. Good luck. Hopefully this won't last long.
You should be but you guys are healthy right now. Make sure he gets Cobra while he's unemployed if you can afford it. It will cover you for a little while until he can find another job hopefully.





It's very hard out there. Stick together as a family and you guys can get through this. Be supportive of him and make sure the kids get their vitamins. Check into local walk in clinics if they do get a cold. It's cheaper then a doctor's visit.





Good luck and I hope he gets work soon.
The only thing you can do is support him. Times are really tough right now.





I just got laid off... I carried our benefits... Thankfully my job is going to cover me until I give birth (I'm pregnant)..





where do you live that you don't qualify for any assistance? That's crazy!
I'll get ideas from this article...





http://lifehackery.com/2008/12/02/seven-鈥?/a>
I think you can get unemployment pay for like six years strait now. So your good
He needs to sign up for unemployment and every day he needs to be out there looking for a job.
be supportive..Encourage him to be optimistic
Tell him to do whatever it takes - get out there - we got mouths to feed! Stat!

No comments:

Post a Comment