Tuesday, August 24, 2010

If my spouse wants a divorce and leaves our home voluntarily, can I legally change the locks?

I am afraid she will damage our home in someway.If my spouse wants a divorce and leaves our home voluntarily, can I legally change the locks?
NOPE you can not. as long as they have a say in your residence, ie, name is on lease, or on the home deed, you can not do anything until your divorce is final. They still have rights to their possessions too.If my spouse wants a divorce and leaves our home voluntarily, can I legally change the locks?
You can change them but she can always hire a locksmith to come %26amp; open it. At least in California. I know because my mom's ex husband did that %26amp; the court said she could do whatever she wanted to get in because the house was under her name. So it really all depends.
Its still your home and since she left, you can change them. However it is still her home too until the divorce is final, she might make you give her a key. Its all still marital property until the divorce is over.
She left, you can do whatever you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment