Sunday, August 22, 2010

What do you do when your bipolar spouse refuses to get back on his meds?

We have been married for almost 13 years and have 3 kids. We have already broken up twice because of his condition. When he is off his meds, he is verbally and emotionally abusive and we all are suffering greatly. I don't know what else to do. Intervention? Threats? If it wasn't for the fact that i know he would get evicted without me, I would probably have already left again, this time for good. I am at the end of my rope! Please help!What do you do when your bipolar spouse refuses to get back on his meds?
Call your local Mental Health Agency, if things are bad enough they will probate him, and force treatment, it sounds harsh, but sometimes it is what you have to do.


You can't put yourself and your children through this, in his current state he likely doesn't realize how much his behavior / illness is effecting you.


Look in the phone book, or on-line, there are plenty of mental health agency's with #'s where you can find answers to how to handle this in the best way possible.What do you do when your bipolar spouse refuses to get back on his meds?
First I admire you for being with your spouse for so long, especially with his condition you must really love him. I believe you must tell him (when he is not in a depressed mood) what he is doing to you and the children when he goes off his meds, tell him he has to agree that you give him his pills every day and that he must swallow them in front of you. If not then you have to give him an ultimatum take your meds. or loose the kids and you. Sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind. I really hope it works out for you.
There isn;t any way to 'make' him take his medications. The only thing you could do, and it would be emotionally hard, is to have him declared incapable of taking care of himself. You could then have him hospitalized. It's a scary prospect, but you must put the safety of yourself and your children first.
i guess you somehow have to prove him incompetent when he is off his meds and have him hospitalized to be readjusted. but getting him to the ER or doctors office isn't going to be easy......does he have a psychiatrist you can consult with?
Hi Kristen- I've been going through the same thing. You can read some of my questions and answers, they might help.





Though we don't have any children, it's been difficult. My ';ex fiance'; is currently in the highest mania I have ever seen him in. He is also verbally and emotionally abusive and I have always been unconditionally supportive. Recently, he had a black out because of his medication (he was only on anti depressants and it was really making the mania worse), and he is now so scared to take meds that he says he'd rather die than go back on any sort of medication.





I had to walk away.





This is the single hardest thing I have ever done- to walk away from someone who you love, who is so vulnerable and really needs me (emotionally, financially, etc). But it was bringing me down as well and I decided that once he refused to get help, I had to draw the line. He is now living in a hostel and has crazy plans to go to Portugal to be a swinger- I have never seen him in a manic episode this bad before. I worry and it's not easy to let go but what else can we do sometimes?





You have children- and your biggest priority is them- if being around your husband is going to have a negative impact on them (and I'm positive it will) then you need to remove them from the situation.





Talk to your spouse- is this a ';rebellious'; refusal to go back on meds or do you think this is going to be a permanent decision? Do what's best for you and your children- you can only do so much. The line has to be drawn somewhere and for me it was when he refused to help himself.





I've got some good advice on some of my questions- take a peek!





Best of luck, and I know what you're going through- I know it's easier said than done but stay strong!!

No comments:

Post a Comment