Thursday, July 29, 2010

What to do when your spouse makes less than you did and they claim the children, and you are self employed?

If I am the main support of the family, she filed for divorce in February of 09, can I claim the children? And she will not give me our third child's #ssn, What can happen?What to do when your spouse makes less than you did and they claim the children, and you are self employed?
I would consult your attorney first before you do anything. But it is my understanding that since you were married in 08, you could still file a joint return. Right now, if she has primary custody, it is assumed that she would claim them on the taxes unless it is otherwise stated in the papers. That is why it is important to try to get some sort of stipulation in there as far as who can claim them what year. I would get on that right away because that could hurt you:(What to do when your spouse makes less than you did and they claim the children, and you are self employed?
Who has physical custody? If you have joint custody you can take turns or each of you claim one child and alternate the third.. Did the court make a decision yet. If not I suggest you talk to a lawyer.
Get an attorney ASAP.

No comments:

Post a Comment