Thursday, July 29, 2010

Is the Uniformed Services Former Spouse's Protection Act fair to military members?

Opinion please I'll give my 2 cents later.Is the Uniformed Services Former Spouse's Protection Act fair to military members?
I honestly think it sucks and they need to do away with it.





EDIT: I think it sucks because one if you decided to marry a soldier you know what you are in for. If you don't I think it is your fault their is vast information on sites to obtain info. Second even though it was hard to finish my schooling etc. I was able to still have my own job/career. Just because your spouse is military doesn't mean you can't find work or go to school.





I was dual active duty Army for 6 years. My husband is about to retire and I'm in the reserves.Is the Uniformed Services Former Spouse's Protection Act fair to military members?
well as a retired Soldier my self I see the good points and the bad points of this law . I was divorced in 2004 after finding out that my ex was unfaithful while i was in Iraq . Lucky for me we where not married 10 years at the time. so she did not qualify however my lawyer was smart enough to have it put in the divorce that she got NOTHING from me in the way of support . ZERO dollars !!





Now with that being said. any spouse that stays with a Soldier for 10 + years and is faithful and loving deserves to be compensated for years of being alone during deployments and other stresses . brought on by the Military .





Also for the post that stated that the state took his retirement pay . this is not possible !! the law is very very clear that in order for your retirement to become '; marital property'; the spouse must be with you for 10 years of active duty service this requirement is not waviable !
I think it's a little outdated. Back when my mom followed my dad around during his military career (15 yrs they were married) and she didn't have another career cause it wasn't an option, that's one thing.





But today when these blood suckers maintain their own careers and don't move with their military mates, it needs to be revised to have a case by case bases.
no but it dosnt matter.. my state awarded my x my pension dispite not meeting the guidelines or law for eligibility





she wasnt married to me long enough to qualify for my pension federally.. the state just ignores that and awards it anyway.





and also you know the bull **** line that the hardest job in the military is the military spouse...





they use you .. then they dump you.. but you have no one to blame but yourself.. you married them.
a big whooping nope...i actually dealt with this in my life..i signed all of it back to him when we divorced...i did give up some things for him to continue with his career..but my thoughts were i didnt earn his retirement i married him long before he went in the military....he earned all of it...he wasnt with his dad before he died because he was in the military...he couldnt go to his grandmothers funeral because he was in the military...he was in korea and the desert a few times...sucked rubber twelve hour shifts for weeks on end at his duty stations...i didnt do any of that..i was for the most part a stay at home mom to our two kids...when the last was old enough i went to work..i was earning my own retirement...and i didnt want his...he didnt even ask i told him i didnt want it..but i have to say the legal office on base..told him if i wouldnt sign it to go after my retirement...i laughed...i wanted to punch that dude in the face...because those few words almost made me not sign it to show him how the wrong thing said makes a situation bad.....but in the end..i did...we later remarried..lol..so so much for that...but yeah..i think alot of times spouses turn the anger of the divorce into im gonna clean his wallet ..and its really unfair to the guy serving...my point of view
no, I do not believe any spouse has the right to take a servicemember's pension. ESPECIALLY if they (the civilian spouse)cheated
it seems very unfair, although I know being a spouse is no easy job, they were not the employee...

No comments:

Post a Comment