Thursday, July 29, 2010

How do you get your spouse to eat more healthy?

Maybe you've made a change in your diet - eating healthier but your spouse is still inhaling Twinkies. Have you successfully been able to get your spouse to eat healthier?How do you get your spouse to eat more healthy?
Yeah, I was able to do it without a problem. But the key is - he didn't mind the change. He said he didn't care what to eat as long as it's tasty. I was the one to do most of the grocery shopping. So I bought healthy stuff and didn't buy junk. When he gave me a disapointed look I said ';I love you therefore I won't buy junk food for you. But look what I got for you instead..'; Keep in mind that if he likes twinkies he won't be happy to switch to broccoli. Get him something sweet but healthy.


Also if you're the one in charge of cooking - just cook healthy stuff, he'll eat it. Also the schedule is in your control - if you don't want to eat a late dinner just serve an early dinner.How do you get your spouse to eat more healthy?
You will not be successful in trying to change another person. He has a right to eat in whatever he wants. Not smart and not good for him - but he is entitled.


You can set a good example, offer healthy meals and healthy snacks.


You can arrange the cupboards so that the healthy options are most visible.


He has to make the decision for himself in his own time - as did you.
I'm answer this on my wife's account. My wife has spent years trying to convert me to a healthier diet. The problem is that your spouse has to really want to make a change. Most guys are in denial that eating poorly could lead to health problems later in life. Or they blow it off as something that is inevitable. Sometimes, it takes a friend or relative getting sick to force a change.





For the most part, i think you have to be patient. There's an ongoing educational process that needs to take place. For me, i understood the health benefits, but didn't want to make the lifestyle changes.





What finally got me was changing my environment. Surrounding myself with more healthy inputs (from TV to Magazines, Farmers Markets, newsletters etc.). i started learning about about our food supply and how much crap is in the food we eat. We went to organic festivals and trade shows where I met local farmers and heard about the differences in industrial farming and traditional farming techniques. I subscribed to newletters like Mercola.com. We watched shows like Super Size Me and read books like Fast Food Nation.





Again, I learned a lot before I fully embraced the lifestyle. Making a change was difficult and expensive. I had to fight the negative influence of friends and family. People are very attached to mainstream ways due to media influences and peer pressure.





But as you start to surround yourself with more health conscious people and health conscious environments, you start to realize that being healthy is a more enlightened state that can lead to greater happiness and fulfillment.





Be patient. Start incorporating positive influences and see if some things start to take.
well, my advice would be to throw out all the unhealthy food and buy a lot of healthy food. if they have a lot of options, they might be more willing.


also, rewarding helps a lot too. for example, one day a week let them eat a twinkie. but if they don't follow your health rules, don't let them have a twinkie.


good luck.


:D
You need to stop buying temptations food and quit being the enabler for your husband. You can achieve great goals as a couple and as family.
Compliment their good features - it will make them want to slim down. Do not say, 'you really should eat healthier' - OFFENSIVE. Purchase only healthy snacks because chances are they'll be too lazy to buy more.
only buy healthy snacks when you go to the grocery store...then cook healthy meals for him. Once he realizes that healthy food can taste just as good, plus probably make him feel much better. He may thank you!
Stop buying fat foods. Buy Healthy snacks.
Restrict sex 'till they're off twinkies for a week. =P
hold back sex? lol

No comments:

Post a Comment