Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Did you have a different upbringing than your spouse? How has it affected your marriage?

I'm dating someone who grew up in a rural area, where things weren't as fast-paced or competitive. I grew up in the city, going to private schools were things were very competitive and expectations were high.





I don't think these are the biggest differences in the world, but they do come up in our relationship from time to time. I'm definitely willing to adapt to them, since I love my boyfriend.





My question is just if people have experienced the same thing. Did you marry someone who was raised very differently than you, and how has it affected your relationship?Did you have a different upbringing than your spouse? How has it affected your marriage?
Life would be so dull if we all came from the same background or area! I married a woman of a different race, religion, and who lives in a major metropolitan city. I came from just outside the suburbs in a college town. She thinks I came from an area with wells, no lectricity and farm critters and out houses. I on the other hand tell her she does not know what she is missing not going to sleep at least one night with out sirens, buses and horns blaring all night. But you know how we do it? We laugh and respect our differences and love each other enough not to mess with what made each other the person we fell in love with! I might add that our political positions are opposite her parents were labor/union mine were management, she has a college degree, and I? A high school diploma. But I love everything in her past that makes her who she is today, a woman who loves me and is proud to be my wife!Did you have a different upbringing than your spouse? How has it affected your marriage?
I was raised in a secular environment in tune with the women's liberation movement.





My husband was raised in an extremely conservative Christian environment.





It hasn't affected OUR relationship, but we have had to really watch what we say to some of his family members, who are of the belief that I'm going to hell for my pagan ways. Which makes us laugh and laugh at how narrow-minded religion is.. If I were to believe in God, I'd believe in the one that forgives my ignorance and loves me in spite of it...
I come from a family with money, my man comes from, well, the real opposite. Sometimes I try to work hard to show him that it hasn't made me a bad person. And I know that I could be accused and blamed for certain things even though I might do the same thing that someone who doesn't come from money might do and not get blamed for it. But pretty much he is good about it. He says that he values material things more than me cause he never had them before.


Best thing is to talk it out.
I think it depends on how different and how much are you willing 2 let go - if u r talking about things like ambition, drive, open mindness, respect, sensitivity to your goals and dreams. how much love is worth the things that you have worked hard for to get where you are. you dont want to wake up one day and feel like how did i end up here?
Yeah we're different but not that different. I would think that if you come from different socio-economic upbringings then you might have issues. But city and rural? No. Should be fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment